Setters, an unpopular dog breed?

By Flavia Campos
Sunday, March 26, 2017

Elsa, English Setter dog, laying on some straw and leaves.

Elsa and I had a little talk, we do talk a lot, and she agreed to let me write not only her thoughts but my own, from time to time, on her blog.

So, for my first post here I would like to share some of our favorite Setters on Instagram. I realized Setters are not as popular as I thought after seeing the 10 most popular dog breeds in the US listed by the AKC. The English Setter is only the 102nd most popular dog breed!

Elsa's Instagram has so many Setters, I would never guessed they're not popular by looking at it, here are some of our favorites:

Curiosity led me to research a bit and I discovered the English Setter has been in and out of the UK vulnerable native breeds list for the past few years and is listed as 'at watch' at the moment. Others Setters like the Gordon and Irish Red and White Setters are also on the UK Kennel Club's list. In France, English Setters are still popular but fell from 7th to 11th in preference, although stable for the last few years.

...they are amazing dogs, a great combination of loyalty and mischievousness. The world would be a dreadful place without Setters!
The Setters unpopularity has two sides, on one hand, it means no puppy mills or backyard breeders, as it wouldn't be profitable enough in most places. On the other hand, when they become as endangered as in the UK, it's heartbreaking because they are amazing dogs, a great combination of loyalty and mischievousness. The world would be a dreadful place without Setters!

Disclosure: Elsa is my first Setter, I didn't know what to expect. Today I consider myself honored to be able to share my life with her. There aren't enough superlatives in the world to describe her wonderfulness. I may write a future post about Elsa's development from rescue dog to house companion from my point of view, as her primary caregiver and trainer.

Related Posts

0 comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget

Subscribe