What I’m going to miss and what I’m looking forward to

By Elsa in motion
Sunday, March 12, 2017

Moving to another country is a big step in my life. Last Friday was sunny after too many days of rain... so going out in the garden and hearing all the birds, it dawned on me what I’ll miss by moving.

The garden was gorgeous with the early sun and a light fog, the birds were everywhere! I had a little trouble focusing, I’m a bird dog after all! I have a fairly big garden, it will be hard to adapt to smaller city living. Both humans are promising long walks and off-leash parks to make up for it.

We had a long walk enjoying the sun, the forest paths finally became available to us again as the hunting season for deer and boars finished!

Elsa, English Setter dog, with Fanfan, French Spaniel dog

On the way back from our walk we passed by our neighbours down the road, the humans had a coffee, got some fresh eggs and I got to play a bit with their dog, a lovely French Spaniel called Fanfan (photo). Fanfan was my first four-legged friend in the neighbourhood, I’ll miss him!

I’ll miss neighbours, friends and even the postman, as he gives me treats when he passes by!

I’ll miss all the small roads and even more our off-road paths. During the summer I get to eat blackberries on my walks, and there are strawberries and figs in MY garden. I'm a lucky setter, I have my very own fig tree here!

We have a plan to run through every nearby town to redo all our favourite hikes before moving! One of our favourite places is the Causses du Quercy Natural Regional Park. We want to go back there as soon as it's warmer and less rainy. The park is not recommended at the moment because it has lots of stone paths and it can be dangerously slippery when it rains!

What I’m looking forward to? Walks in the Rockies and getting to know why the humans love that place called Canada! Our first adventure will be a road trip from Toronto to Calgary.

I love the countryside life and nature here, but I’m also excited and looking forward to all the new places I’ll get to know. It will be different from France surely but I hope it'll be just as great!
Many people said there was nothing to see on the way from Toronto to Calgary, but that’s relative to who sees, or smells, and I rather smell for myself! I’ll let you know how I found it all and the human (Flavia) will provide the photos to Illustrate my thoughts, that she'll dutifully write here for me.

Also the humans keep going on about something called snow, they say they miss it. Many of my Instagram friends have photos playing with this white stuff, I wonder what it is and if it is as much fun as it looks… I suppose I’ll find out!

I’ll also get to know a few big cities. I hope we find a dog friendly neighbourhood to live in. The plan is to try to find a house close to an off-leash park to make up for me being garden less, or having a smaller garden.

I love the countryside life and nature here, but I’m also excited and looking forward to all the new places I’ll get to know. It will be different from France surely but I hope it'll be just as great!

So we are preparing and wondering, wondering and preparing for what the future may bring our way, but I’m ready to go!

Related Posts

0 comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget

Subscribe