We Didn't Burn Down the House

By Elsa in motion
Sunday, February 26, 2017

I was glad to see last week off! The day after I was attacked by another dog, we had the firefighters at home. All because of a fireplace that gets cleaned by a professional twice a year.

First there was a strange chemical smell, which made the humans suspicious. They checked the fire and apparently there was nothing to see. One of the humans was not convinced, so she decided to check on the second floor, the roof and then look from the outside, that's when she saw the flames coming from the chimney on top of the house!

Elsa, English Setter dog, looking ahead

The firefighters were called and as we live in the countryside, it took them 40 minutes to arrive! And by the time they arrived, the fire had finished, because while one human called the firefighters the other used a fire extinguisher on the fireplace, then they worked together to remove the wood and closed all air entries. After noticing that the fire was smaller but still present in the chimney, one of the humans finished the fire extinguisher pointing it up towards the chimney. And that was it, no more fire!

When the two lorries arrived scaring me to death, the firefighters only had to check everything and make their report. They went up the roof to check the chimney from the top and found the culprit, an accumulation of soot high up that caught fire inside the chimney.

I found it all kind of scary, the humans reassured me all the way and some of the firefighters even gave me cuddles. I was glad when they left though!
Apparently it's a very common issue and happens even if you get the fireplace swept twice a year, because the chimney sweepers in France don't clean them from the top. The firefighters told us that in the past people would take their guns and shoot up from their fireplace to remove this type of soot blockage!

It seems the humans noticed the fire of this soot 'cork' very early on and controlled it swiftly and effectively. So apart from the huge scare no damage was caused to the house. We only had to spend a day without fireplace as the firefighters pulled it apart to check it thoroughly. The chimney sweeper came in the next day to put the fireplace back together!

I found it all kind of scary, the humans reassured me all the way and some of the firefighters even gave me cuddles. I was glad when they left though! I'm still living in the countryside, life is supposed to be calm... Hopefully next week we will be preparing for our relocation trip only!

Related Posts

0 comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget

Subscribe